Publish your website
Why do I need a Host Provider ? What's a FTP server ?
In order for your website to be accessible to everyone on the Internet you need to publish it to the web server of a host provider. Such a web server accepting the file transfer of your website is called a FTP server and requires an account for your web space. There are 3 main types of host providers you may use :
- a web space coming with your Internet connection : some ISP (Internet Service Providers) offer a web space to their customers where you can publish your website. Generally limited in size this may suit your needs. You may need to contact your ISP to determine if you have a web space and to get the login and password of your account.
- a free web space : many websites on the Internet provide free web space. But if this service is free, in general they add some popup windows or ads to your website, so you'd better read their conditions before to create any account and publish your website. Conditions of free host hosting sites may change anytime too but if you want to test and try a first version of your site you may consider for instance to use the biz.nf free web hosting that accepts scripts and is with no ads.
- professional host providers : more reliable than the other web space, they are not not free but provides many services depending on your needs.
IMPORTANT : For your website to work correctly using all TOWeb features (such as e-commerce, forms sent by email and blogs) your host provider must authorize you to accept PHP scripts on your web space.
Advantages and disadvantages of the different host providers
Free web space
- the main advantage is to have this service for free. If it's a not a professional website or if you don't know your needs yet or if you are not sure to keep your website for a long time, then you might first try this solution and see if it fits your needs.
- depending on the number of the (numerous) persons connected at the same time, you may experience now and then some disconnections during the transfer of your files to their server
- you have limitation on your account on some free web hosts like for instance a maximum size per file or some type of files not accepted like for example video, music files or scripts
- many free web host providers place their advertisements on your web pages.
Web space offered by your ISP
- advantages and disadvantages are pretty much the same as the ones of a free web space
- and in general, when changing to another ISP you loose your previous web space. This means that you will still be able to publish your website anywhere else with TOWeb but the address of your website will no longer be the same and all the people used to visit your website may never know the new address of your website thereafter.
Professional host providers
- with a professional host provider you don't have any of the ISP or Free web space disadvantages
- they are not free but depending on your needs it's easy to find one on the Internet with cheap prices per month
- you can buy your .COM domain in order to have your the "WWW" web site address of your choice, and this generally included to the price of your web space. And if you are not satisfy with your host provider and want to change to another one, you will be able to keep your domain name and publish it again so your website will stay at the same address and your visitors won't see any changes.
- the file transfer is more reliable and you generally can upgrade to a better offer if your website needs are changing or growing.
But the choice of a host provider mainly depends on your needs and the type of website you create, like for example : the size of your web space, if you want to use and run scripts, if you want to have your own WWW domain name, if have many large downloadable files on your website and need a large bandwidth and other criteria. For more information see previous advantages and disadvantages listed below and contact some host providers for advice to your case and see what they offer. We do not recommend any particular host provider as they are too numerous and they provide different services and prices but your will find them easily in computer magazines or with a search in www.google.com like for instance these free web hosting sites.
How to publish your website ?
To publish your site you must provide your user name, password and FTP server name that you received from your host provider. Make sure you have all these information before to use the Host configuration wizard of TOWeb located in the "Publish" step or accessible with keyboard shortcut CTRL+F8.
The host configuration wizard provides a list of free hosts and hosts included internet service providers that you may use. If your host is not that type or not present in the list, then just follow our guide on how to configure a host that is not present in TOWeb default list.
Finally, if you TOWeb is blocked when trying to configure your host or during the publication, please verify that all security systems present on your machine are all fully authorizing TOWeb (firewall, antivirus, ...). For more information see our advice about firewalls and internet security systems.
PHP support test
The PHP support test integrated in TOWeb allows you to make sure that your host space will be able to perfectly run all necessary scripts and dynamic functions of your web site. The vast majority of web hosts support the use of scripts on their servers but a few free hosts do not allow scripts or sometimes very limited / restrained manner. If you use a host that does not allow the use of PHP scripts, you will still be able to publish your website but in this case, we recommend not to use any interactive features on your site (no contact form or other web forms, no e-commerce features, no blog, or other i-Services) since no dynamic function will work on your website.
And if your host supports scripting but PHP support test fails in TOWeb, then please verify each of the following points:
- If you have enabled the option "secure FTP / TLS connection" located in the in the step #1 of the host configuration wizard (CTRL + F8 or from step "Publish") then try disabling this option before proceeding to another test to make sure the problem is not due to that.
- Make sure the URL you specified in step #4 of the host configuration wizard (CTRL + F8 or from step "Publish") is correctly entered before making another test attempt.
- Check your Windows firewall, antivirus and any other security software that may block the test : TOWeb must be allowed for all types of internet access on your machine.
- Contact your host provider to determine if there is not a configuration issue with your account and/or your server (such as insufficient access rights on your web space, restrictions with certain PHP functions like mail for instance, if your domain name is correctly configured with their DNS servers, ...).
Problems & Solutions to connect or publish your website
1 - Check your version of TOWeb
Verify first that you are using the latest version 6.20 of TOWeb. The version number of TOWeb is displayed in splash screen upon startup and on the button of the "License" screen.
2 - You already published your website in the past but it's suddenly not working anymore
If you were able to publish your website using your current host parameters but now encounter a connection problem don't modify your host configuration but try again later, this might due to a high traffic from too many simultaneous user connections to your provider's server or due to a temporary interruption of service for maintenance. Eventually if after other attempts the problem still persists, check the other points listed below, especially the advices concerning firewall and Internet connection quality.
3 - The publication starts but fails before the end of the transfer
If the file transfer never reach 100% or if TOWeb stays totally frozen in publishing your website this is probably due to your Windows firewall or any other internet security software installed on your computer (Norton, ZoneAlarm, Kaspery, ...). This type of issue can appear after the following events:
- if TOWeb is not present in the exception list of your firewall
- if your internet or protection settings have changed after the installation of a security update on your computer
- if you installed a new version of TOWeb that was not correctly detected by your firewall and internet security software
In such cases you will need to reset your Windows firewall and internet security protection and manually add TOWeb to list of exceptions on your machine. If after such verifications you still encounter an issue check the following points :
- Verify that the size of your website is not bigger than theweb space size provided by your host. If you are near the limit, try to publish your website by using the "Entire site" update method, this will free up your web space before publishing.
- Make sure you do not publish any file bigger than allowed on your web space (like a large video for instance) and no unauthorized file (music for instance). Some host providers do not accept files larger that the size limit they establish. Furthermore, if your Internet connection is too slow, your host provider may disconnect you to free the line if it appears to be not active (particularly on big files). When this happens, the name of the file not fully uploaded is displayed with the error message in order to help you to locate this file.
- If you have access to the Internet through a Wireless network (WIFI), verify that your signal strength is sufficient and that no other electronic devices around are interfering ( too many errors during the data transfer may result in the failure of the upload, particularly with large files).
4 - You have never been able to publish your website yet
- Verify that the option "Use passive FTP connection" is activated (this option is located under the tab "Advanced parameters" of the Host configuration dialog box) and if this was not the case, select this option and try to publish again.
- Verify that you correctly entered the user name and password as they were provided to you by your host, with a special care to their case sensitivity.
- Verify that your FIREWALL and any other security software on your system (including your Cable or DSL modem) allow TOWeb to access the Internet. If you are not sure, you may temporary disable your firewall and security settings, then try to publish and then reactivate your firewall and security settings. If you are able to publish your website when the firewall is inactive, then refer to the documentation of your firewall or security software to find out how to allow TOWeb to publish your website using FTP (File Transfer Protocol).
5 - Your host provider is NOT listed in TOWeb
If your host provider is not in the TOWeb's host list, you need to obtain the 4 following parameters from your host provider : the FTP server address of your host, your login name, your password and the address of your website (your URL). Once you have these information, follow these steps :
- In the 1st step of the Host Configuration wizard, select the option "My host isn't in the list, I will enter my FTP server address manually" and enter the FTP server address of your host
- Then in the second step, enter your name and your password
- On the 3rd step, you need to indicate the specific subdirectory (if any) where your website has to be published on the FTP Server. TOWeb generally detects this subdirectory for most servers but you may use the browse button to verify and select the good one manually if this is not correct. If no subdirectory is detected and you encounter a problem publishing your website for the first time, contact your host provider to find out which subdirectory name you should use.
- On the 4th step enter your URL (the address of your website, without any prefix http://)
- In the step 5, you may first try to use the option "Passive FTP connection" unless you encounter troubles publication issues like for instance a file transfer aborted before the end of the transfer. Then finish the wizard to save your configuration information. Your website is now ready for publication.
6- TOWeb indicates a successful transfer of your website but you can't see it or access it from the Internet
If you get the "congratulations" screen in TOWeb at the end of the transfer but can't see any result on the Internet with your web browser, this is probably due to one of the following reasons :
- If you are using a free web space or the one coming with your ISP connection, then go to your personal account to verify that your web pages are correctly activated
- Verify that the web address you entered doesn't have any typos. If this is the case, then open the Configuration Host wizard (CTRL+F8) and update it from the step 3/5.
- If you have your own .COM domain, your domain name may not be initialized yet in your host provider Domain Name Servers (DNS). Ask your host provider to this DNS issue or to explain you how to do configure from your account.
- Your host provider may require your website files to be transferred into a particular folder of their FTP server. Contact your host provider to verify if you need to publish it under a special folder and to get the name of this folder. Then open the Configuration Host wizard (CTRL+F8) and from the step 3/5 enter this folder name or select it from the "browse" button. Terminate the wizard to save this change and publish your website again.
- The transfer of your files may have been intercepted by security software activated on your machine. Verify your Windows Internet Firewall and any security options or software (like for instance Norton, McAfee, ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky, Avast ...) installed on your computer as well as those of your modem to authorize TOWeb to publish you website (file transfer protocol used by TOWeb is FTP on port 21).
7- The online version of your website has not changed or is not correctly displayed
Your web browser may continue to display old web pages previously visited and stored in its memory. Press the F5 key in your web browser in order to refresh the content of your web page. You might also want to clean up the temporary Internet files and the history of web page you've visited now and then and restart your web browser to solve this type of problem.
And if you're still seeing a different result online then press the SHIFT+F12 keys to rebuild all your website content and publish it again using the option "publish the entire site" to replace any damaged files on your web space.
8- You've checked all these recommendations but the problem persists
If, despite the verifications previously mentioned in this page, you are still unable to publish your website, contact our support directly from TOWeb directly from the screen where the error is displayed or from the support form right after the problem occurs. TOWeb will then send your problem automatically with an error report that will help us to determine and solve the problem you are facing with.
Publish on a local drive
TOWeb offers an optimized transfer of your website on a FTP server by only uploading new files or files that has changed since your last publication. Nevertheless if you want to do the transfer by yourself like for instance if you use a web server on your computer or mapped drive (on your local network or a Google Drive for instance) and have no FTP access then you will need to use the Export function located in the "Publish" step of TOWeb.
Use the 2nd Publishing Module of TOWeb V6 for FTP/SFTP/FTPS
Starting from the version 6.17 of TOWeb V6, a second hidden publishing module is accessible and usable in BETA TEST. Below are the changes and benefits compared to the TOWeb default publishing module:
- In addition to the FTP and FTPS protocols already supported by the current publishing module, the new one also supports the SFTP protocol. So it might be usefull if you want to make secure publications especially if your host provider does not give you any FTPS access but only SFTP
- This new publishing module does not overwrite or erase any remote files or directories but only those previously published by TOWeb. Therefore the special files & folders located in step 3 of the previous hosting wizard becomes useless and will not appear if you use this publication mode.
- Due to the SFTP protocol and a new method of publication by recursion, it makes impossible to determinate the estimate the time remaining for publishing all your files, but in return pubshing your website should be more reliable and faster.
If you wish to use or just test this new FTP module, you must use the last update of TOWeb V6 and press the CTRL key by clicking on the button of the "Publish" step, then check the "SFTP/FTP/FTPS beta" option. There is nothing else to do, your site will then be published with TOWeb's new FTP module. However, we advise you to redo a full publication of you site (and not just changes) when you first use this new module so that all file transfers become optimal for the next times. To return to the standard publishing module, uncheck this option.