Navigation & Structure of your website
Text Links & Buttons
When editing a text use the link button ( ) to create a link inside a button or just a text link by selecting the "Link style". A link can be one the following type :
- a link to another website : where you need to enter the URL (http:// or https//:)
- a link to email address : this will open the mail software of your visitors if any mail software installed
- a link to topic of your site that can go to the start of the page, a specific paragraph, a specific picture (if your topic is an album) or a specific product (if your topic is a catalog)
- a link to a file : using this function your file will come available for download by this link for any of your visitors. From version 6, all download links from your site are using a script that directly saves the downloaded files in the download folder users' computer. If you wish that your download links do not behave like this but instead directly opens the file into the user's web browser (like in version 5) or in side another software (if the user has one on his/her computer that can open the types of files you propose on your site), then you just need to disable the i-service file download from step "Options > i-Services". For more information on how to create a link to file please watch the video tutorial : create a file download link
- a link to a phone number so that a visitor using a smartphone can directly dial the numebr by clicking on it.
Whenever you create a link you can define the relation between the targeted page and the page where your link is placed. The most commonly used values, as exploited by internet search engines such as Google for SEO of your site are:
- next : indicates your current page is a subset of a document/topic/article and that target link is the next part
- prev : indicates your current page is a subset of a document/topic/article and that the target link is the previous part
- nofollow : indicates that you (the author of the site or topic) do not condone the content of the targeted link. By assigning the value "nofollow" to the property "rel" of a link, you are telling the search engines like Google not to follow certain links on your site or not forward the popularity of your page to this other linked page/site in order not to be associated with this site and/or you do not condone any possible remarks or contents of this third-party site that you specify in your link (for example because this site may be a spam site or disreputable and you do not to be associated to that). For more information visit the Google usage tips for the attribute rel=nofollow
- author : a link to the author of the current topic or document
Note : to add a new line after a link and especially a link place inside a button just move the cursor after the last character of your text (but still inside the button) and type a character like for instance a space key to get "out" of the link (button) and then press the Enter key to create a new line. On the opposite if you want to add a new line before a button link move the cursor just before the first character of your text link (but still inside the button) and press the space key.
Links on Pictures
Menu of your website
The edit menu button ( ) located in the top toolbar opens a window from where you will be able to organize your topics and your website menu. The list one the left side is the one of the topics that will appears in your menu. The list on the right side the topics that will not be displayed in your menu. A topic not displayed in your menu does not means it doesn't nor wont be accessible. In fact this topic will exist and be published but you will need to add links on it somewhere else inside your web pages the access to make it accessible by visitors.
You can change the order of your topics in the list or move them from one list to the other by drag'n drop and/or by using the move up/down arrows and hide/show buttons.
To create a submenu in your menu use the "Add submenu" button and then drag'n drop the desired topics into it.
Finally if you have multiple sections that link between it and dealing with the same subject then you can group them into groups of topics or articles.
As for customizing the display of your menu it must be made from step "Theme" by clicking in the preview of your menu to access its styles properties, but also:
- to set the folding behavior of the menu based on the screen width (especially for smartphones/tablets) with the ability to eventually let it always or never folded
- to present a folded menu either as a text or an icon
- to automatically open submenus mouseover without the visitor having to click
Footer, Fatfooter or Sidebar as a menu alternative
Menu of your website will only have a one level of submenus. If you need more you might consider either :
- to use a sidebar and add panels ( ) on it that a specific topic will contained links buttons to other topics (not visible in your menu). This way you sidebar will become a submenu specific to your topic.
- to add a list of links inside your footer or fat footer. These will be visible on every pages of your website (like your menu) but at the end of every web pages. You can then use the footer and/or fatfooter as another way to present your menu or a complementary way by placing for example the most important topic in your menu and the less important ones in the footer or fatfooter.
- to add articles or groups of topics to your menu.
An item is a set of pages that are ordered and linked by a navigation system. TOWeb offers several automated navigation systems that can be used in the pages of an article: a navigation summary with a list of links, a drop down list of the pages or a simple page navigation thru previous & next buttons. The navigation system of your choice can be placed at the beginning of each page and/or can be placed at the end of each page if you like too. The creation of an article can be done manually from your menu management window by drag & drop of your pages inside your article or take them out or change their order. An can also be created using the TOWeb assistant accessible from the button ( ) "create a new topic". In TOWeb, when editing a topic that is part an article, a toolbar appears over the navigation system to allow you to edit or delete the article but also directly add a new page into your article or perform a complete or partial removal of your article directly from there.
Groups of topics
A group of topics (or group) is a front page automatically created by TOWeb and that contains a brief summary of all the topics with links to them.
A group can be created and modified manually from the menu of your management window by performing drag'n drop of your topics to add or remove or change them into the group. Add a group can also be carried ourt in an assisted way from the button ( ) "add a new topic". A group (with customizable text) can help you quickly create web pages of type "portal" thus preventing you from having to create all the links yourself, helping you to have a basic content (images & texts) already pre-filled to present your topics and prevent you from having to manage their invisibility in the site menu (as topics part of a group will not be directly displayed in the menu of your site). Only the name of the group of topics appears, which can help you to reduce and simplify your menu if it ever become too important.
Topics with no navigation
This option, located in the settings of each topic, you can view the contents of your entry without any navigation elements of your site (no menu, no search box, no footer). This function can be used for example in case you want to create a front page with a navigation only restricted to the links you have placed into the paragraphs of this topic or if you wish to create an agreement/introduction page of your site.
Back to top button
Enabled by default on your site, this button is automatically displayed superimposed in the lower right corner when the user performs a significant scroll down inside a page of your site, enabling him/her to quickly return to the beginning of page and the menu of your site. You can disable or enable this function on your site from the step "Options > Site Navigation" and customize its options (the trigger level, the selection of the button icon and its size).
Tip: For the triggering threshold, it is advisable to set it to a value that corresponds to the hight where the content of your topics start. In such a way when the user will scroll down on your page, as soon as the menu of your website becomes no longer be visible, this button will be displayed.
Social Network Buttons
TOWeb provides 2 types of social network buttons
- the ones displayed on every pages of your website located in your Theme
- the ones that can be placed on paragraphs of your topics using the "Show share buttons" located in "topic settings". By activating them on a topic you will be asked to configure them.