How to Improve Visitor Navigation and Satisfaction
Understand the needs of your users
To create a quality user experience, it is essential to fully understand the needs of your visitors. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Who is my target audience?
- What information are they looking for on my site?
- What are the objectives of my site (to inform, sell, entertain, etc.)?
By answering these questions, you can design a site that meets the expectations of your audience and offers a pleasant user experience.
An easy-to-navigate website allows users to quickly find the information they are looking for. Here are some tips to improve navigation on your site:
- Use a clear and concise menu bar, with well-organized categories and subcategories.
- Make sure your internal links are relevant for easy navigation between pages.
- Integrate a local search engine to help users find specific content.
- Add a footer and/or sidebar as an addition or alternative to the menu.
- Group your topics dealing with the same subjects into articles or groups.
- Use a summary at the top of your topics or fold-out paragraphs in your pages so that your visitors can see more quickly the content that interests them.
The content of your site should be easy to read and understand. Here are some tips to optimize readability:
- Use clear and legible fonts, with an appropriate text size.
- Make sure there is enough contrast between the text and the background.
- Structure content with headings, subheadings, and bulleted lists for easy reading.
- Avoid blocks of text that are too long and break up your content with white space.
Accelerate loading speed
Page loading speed is an essential factor for a good user experience. Visitors may leave your site if they have to wait too long. To improve loading speed, you can:
Design for mobile devices
- Privilege above all the functionalities of TOWeb : avoid adding lines of HTML code in your pages because the fluid grids of TOWeb make it possible to resize and reorganize the elements of a page according to the size of the screen. This will generally not be the case with added HTML code that may cause display or operation errors in your site.
- Design appropriate buttons and touch elements : Navigation elements should be large and spaced enough to be easily accessible on a touch screen. Remember to adapt the size of buttons and links to avoid click errors. In terms of your phone numbers, also think about using SMS or phone number links so that your visitors can click and reach you directly from their smartphones.
- Activate or deactivate certain optimizations for smartphones : TOWeb offers multiple options to customize the display of your site on smartphones but also to deactivate animations and image effects that can slow down or disrupt navigation of certain mobile devices.
- Optimize images and videos : Multimedia files can significantly increase page load times, especially on mobile connections. Compress and resize your images and videos for faster loading and better user experience.
- Use readable fonts : On small screens, it is important to use clear and readable fonts. Avoid overly stylized or complex fonts, and make sure the text size is large enough to read effortlessly on mobile.
- Test your site on different devices : TOWeb allows you to simulate different screen resolutions of smartphones and tablets before publishing your site. But to make sure that your website works well, you can also perform online tests afterwards with the different models of smartphones and tablets you have.